Demonstrate against Canadian participation in the third Iraq war
Saturday, October 25, 1:00 p.m.
Human Rights Monument (Elgin and Lisgar, Ottawa)
The Ottawa protest is one of many from coast to coast as part of a weekend of action against the war.
Together, let’s take to the streets to protest:
- Against a new illegal war that contributes to dismantling the existing world order and that threatens « world peace and security » while pretending to defend them;
- Against the security and humanitarian pretexts invoked by the new coalition: the protection of Iraq’s population has nothing to do with the real motives of this war, which will cause them more suffering and further deteriorate their living conditions;
- Against a Canadian foreign policy centred on intensifying conflicts and war;
- Against the hijacking of huge amounts of public resources to make war, promote the military industry, glorify the army and Canada’s military past, while for many years « austerity measures » have cut education, healthcare, public services, the promotion of women’s rights, the protection of the environment, international cooperation, etc.
Together, let’s take to the streets to demand:
- The immediate end of Canadian participation in this new aggression coalition which has been set up for the strategic interests of the US empire and its allies;
- A freeze on all major procurement projects of the Canadian military;
- The organization of a broad public debate on Canadian foreign policy, the role of the army, the military industry and the arms trade;
- That the Canadian government immediately cease deportation proceedings against U.S. Iraq war resisters and create, once and for all, a provision that would allow them to remain in Canada.